The challenge: Memorize 1 scripture mastery scripture per week. Blog about success (or lack there of). Invite others to the challenge (even if they only need a refresher). Pray about the challenge as it goes; pray for strength, understanding, and the truthfulness of each scripture.
There are 25 scriptures from the 4 books (Old & New Testament, Book of Mormon, and Doctrine and Covenants). That is 100 in total. So yeah it might take two years, but if not now, when?! I'll do one from the Old T., New T., BOM, D&C, Old T. ...That way I work on verses from all books each month.
So here I go. I'm starting with: Moses 1:39 (Old T. / Pearl of Great Price) - Behold, this is my work and my glory - to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man.
I am officially challenging YOU to join the challenge: http://www.ldsscripturemastery.net/scriptures.html
"Search the scriptures — search the revelations which we publish and ask your Heavenly Father, in the name of His Son Jesus Christ, to manifest the truth unto you, and if you do it with an eye single to His glory nothing doubting, He will answer you by the power of His Holy Spirit. You will then know for yourselves and not for another." — Joseph Smith, Prophet

Why do you have to memorize a certain list of scripture? Why don't you just read the bible and let God lead you to the scriptures that He wants you to hide in your heart??? What's the point of memorizing a select few scriptures from the New Testament off of a list that someone else made? OPEN the bible and READ. LET HIM MAKE YOUR LIST!!!
ReplyDelete"Lord, would you like me to spend 30 minutes quizzing myself over these verses that I have carefully written onto these cool index cards....or would you like me to spend that time reading Your word and developing a deeper relationship with YOU?"
I know the answer ;-)
I don't HAVE to memorize a certain list, I want to. That also doesn't mean that I won't memorize other scriptures that are more personal to me. This is just a start. I need to prove that I can memorize these and feel more of a connection to His words. This challenge isn't replacing spending time reading my scriptures.
ReplyDeleteI didn't just decide to do this challenge, I was guided to it.
What a great idea! I would be more helpful to Cory too! I'm with you! I have to get myself a list of scripture mastery. We used to have cards. I'll start today!
ReplyDelete