Monday, August 03, 2009

The quandry

Instead of writing the same idea in my blog (and not as eloquent), to follow is an exerpt from a friend's blog that I related to. This is what has been on my mind lately too:

"The modern LDS single woman faces quite a quandry, which can at times seem to divide her in half. On one hand, she is passionate and intelligent and productive in pursuing goals that require substantial investments of the heart, mind, and wallet. But on the other hand, she also knows that these pursuits are less important than her goal of eternal marriage, and sensing this will come along at some point (not knowing when, how, or with whom), she also senses that at any point she will be required to give up all that she has worked for and exchange it for a higher calling. Some women do not have a problem doing this, as their dream since infancy has been to wear a wedding band and nurture children and marry young. For other women of the church, it feels like a greater sacrifice when somebody comes along to interrupt and change their course. I feel like perhaps I am a little of both. Men of the church do not suffer this dynamic, nor do they fully appreciate it- I am certain, because they do not, and are not asked or required to prepare simotaniously for two completely different roles in life. In fact, they only have one role, and sadly, some of them have trouble applying themselves to responsibly fill just the one. My best friends are accomplished women who have been blessed by their education and professional pursuits, but have also had the opportunity to marry in the temple and work towards fulfilling their higher calling of motherhood in an eternal marriage. Because they are choosing to be stay at home moms and supportive wives, they are blessed." -Em

I have a son, am a college graduate, have a job that I like but doesn't have much growth opportunity, and I have no idea what my future is going to look like. My future really depends on who else is in it, but I can't wait around for that situation to change. I'm at a stand-still and I am unsure of which way to turn. I want a house, but my current job won't provide that... I also don't want to give up the supportive living situation I am in for the sake of my son. I'm torn.

6 comments:

  1. Though I feel incredibly blessed to be able to have my stay-at-home career as mother and wife, I too wish I could do something in the world. Is this just my "worldly" person reaching out? Should I be completely content with my role as mother? I've always wanted to work in the foster care/social worker field, but I can't pursue that until all the kids are at least in school. Until then I wait...and wait...and wait...
    Is it so bad to want to be able to get a job to help with our financial situation? If I do, am I abandoning my kids? I, too, am torn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there! You'll have to add us to your blog. Sounds like life is crazy for everyone right now :) We all go through different challenges but that is just it...they are trails in our life that are there to help us grow and learn from. We will be blessed if we endure it well. There is a time a nd place for all things and I believe as long as you are doing what you are supposed to be doing and what the Lord requires of you, you will be blessed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. prayer, prayer, prayer.

    and then hold on because answers don't always come right away, but when they do you'll recognize them if you have ears to hear.

    it's a comfort to know that father in heaven has always known you would face this and that he already has a plan. keep the faith. this is easier said than done, i know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessie9:36 AM

    Read Proverbs 31:10-31. Pray over each verse. Ask God to give you wisdom. Ask Him to mold you into a Proverbs 31 woman in preparation for your future husband. Pray for your future husband...that he is a Christian man who will be a leader in your home.
    You said "My future really depends on who else is in it." I agree...as long as your future has our Lord Jesus Christ in it, what else should matter? Turn to Him for your comfort during this time and you won't feel like you are at a stand-still, because God knows you are not standing still in his plan for you. Take this moment in time to prepare yourself. Don't get caught up in a list of things you "can't do"...focus on what you CAN DO!
    Read Phillipians 4:13
    You CAN DO all things through CHRIST who gives you strength.

    P.S. Hillary - Yes, you should be content with your role as a wife and a mother. No, it is not bad that you want to help with your family's financial situation. Proverbs 31 woman contributed income to the household. Maybe you can find a way to do both, just like this woman.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE you Jessie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Links to above mentioned scriptures:
    http://scriptures.lds.org/en/prov/31
    http://scriptures.lds.org/en/philip/4

    ReplyDelete